Fort St. George is the name of the first British fortress in India. Fort St. George which was previously known as White Town located at Chennai. Fort st george is one of the places which r mostly visited by tourists who are coming to chennai. Fort St. George is located on the banks of Bay of Bengal. Fort St. George was built by the british east india company in 1640 AD later becoming the British capital in south India. The fort named in honour of England patron saint.
Fact About Fort St. George of Chennai
Address: Rajaji Salai, Fort St George, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Location: St. George Street, Chennai
Phone Number: +91-44-25670136
Built in: 1644
Built By: The British
Monuments of fort: St. Mary’s Church, fort museum and flag staff
Significance: Oldest British Fort on the East Coast
Nearest Railway Station: Chennai Central Railway Station just 1 km from St George Fort.
Nearest Metro Station: Chennai Fort Metro Station.
Nearest Airport: Chennai International Airport only 15 km away from St George Fort.
Reach by Bus and Road: There are number of MTC buses available from any area of city. Chennai city is well-connected to all the major cities in Tamil Nadu and other neighboring states through an excellent road network.
East India Company was established in India by british in the end of 17th century for trade and economic activities. When this company settled then the company was looking for a permanent trading place. So the British build this fort for trade purpose. Tourist can see many oldest arms of british army in Fort museum and also uniforms of british army. The building housing the museum is one of the oldest surviving buildings built within the fort.
Entry fee and Timing for Fort St. George at Chennai
Open Days: Closed only on Friday in a week
Visiting Duration: 1 hour
Timing: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Photography: Not allowed
Entry Fee For Indians: Rs. 5/-
Entry Fee For Others: US $ 2 or Rs. 100/-
Entry Fee for Children up to 15 years: free
The fort currently houses the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly. There are the other building in the fort are St. Mary’s Church and the fort museum. The Fort St. George Museum was organised and opened to the public from 31st January 1948 and St. Mary’s Church was built between 1678 and 1680 and is the oldest church in India. The Flag Staff in the fort is the 2nd highest tallest flag staff in India which is stands at 150 feet height. An impressive marble-made statue of Lord Cornwallis welcomes visitors to the Fort Museum.